Backwash while the pool pump is off by following these steps:
- Put your multi port valve in the “backwash” position.
- Turn the pump on and let it run for 1 minute, or until you don’t see any dirt coming through sight glass anymore.
- Turn the pump off.
- Put valve in the “rinse” position and let run for 30 seconds.
- Now, put the valve back in the “filter” position and turn the pump on.
- The final step is adding DE (diatomaceous earth). Ignore this step if you have a sand filter.
Refer to the manufacturers instructions on your filter to find how much DE to add after a backwash.
Why This Is Important: It’s important to keep pressure down on the filter.