As a pool owner, it’s important to keep your investment maintained and cleaned, so it lasts as long as possible. When pools aren’t cared for properly, they can develop expensive issues that may require extensive repairs down the road. Fortunately, you can minimize the need for expensive pool equipment repair or pool renovations Houston if you do everything you can to keep your pool in good working order. Cleaning your pool filter regularly is one of the most important things you can do to extend its lifespan. Here’s how to correctly clean a pool filter without damaging its components.
How To Clean a Cartridge Pool Filter
If you have a standard cartridge pool filter, here are the steps you should take to clean it.
- Turn the pool and filter system off, then slowly crank the air relief valve to remove air from the system.
- Remove the latching mechanisms that hold the filter together, making sure you refer to your owner’s manual to do it correctly.
- Remove the filter top, then carefully take out the cartridge and set it to the side in a safe area. Inspect it for signs of cracks, tears, and other indications of damage. If it looks OK, you can clean it and reuse it, but if there are indications of damage, you’ll need to replace your cartridge.
- Attach a spray nozzle to your garden hose and spray the cartridge, paying close attention to the tight areas between the pleats.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions with preciseness, use a filter cleaner to clean soiled filters.
- If regular cleaning doesn’t work, soak the cartridge overnight in a 5-gallon bucket with filter cleaner, making sure the cleaner submerges the entire cartridge.
- Apply some lubricant to the O-ring on the filter tank. If it appears worn out and damaged, replace it.
- Thoroughly rinse the cartridge so no cleaner remains, then return the cartridge to its rightful spot in the filter and make sure it is snugly in place.
- Put the top of the filter back on and close the latching mechanisms.
- Turn the filter system back on and make sure the air valve is open so any excess air may be released from the system. Don’t close the valve until a steady water stream sprays out of it.
- Make sure the system’s pressure is in the ideal range. If you notice any issues with the pounds per square inch, something may still be wrong with the system or you may have reassembled it incorrectly. Try to identify the problem and fix it before using your pool.
It’s important to note that any problems that arise before, during or after cleaning your pool filter should be addressed by a professional before you use the pool.
Why You Should Hire a Professional to Clean Your Filter
Not all pool owners are comfortable with cleaning their own pool filters, and that’s perfectly fine. Cleaning your own filter can be intimidating and could result in more damage if you do anything incorrectly. At Manning Pool Service, we are highly skilled in pool maintenance Houston services and pool renovations Houston. We know how to clean your filter without damaging any of its components. Your filter is one of the most important components of your pool because without it, you’d be swimming in dirty, unsafe water. If you’d rather not take unnecessary risks with your filter, let us handle your regular filter cleaning needs.
In addition to offering filter cleaning services, we can also tell very quickly if your filter needs to be replaced. We also offer in-depth pool cleaning services to make sure your pool not only functions properly, but is also clean and safe to swim in.
Is your pool looking murkier than normal? If so, it’s time to schedule pool equipment repair or pool renovations Houston before your water becomes unsafe for swimming. At Manning Pool Service, we the tools ad expertise necessary to clean and repair your pool so it’s a safe and attractive place to swim. Whether you need your filter cleaned or you need a few tiles replaced, we can get the job done to your satisfaction. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at your convenience. We look forward to transforming your dirty or damaged pool into a pristine one.
How To Clean a Pool Filter | Manning Pool Service – Houston, TX